What is TPMS Relearning?
The car's TPMS relearning is to re-establish communication between the car's sensors and the TPMS module and maintain the normal operation of the car.
Each wheel's TPMS sensor has a unique ID. This sensor ID and associated wheel are registered in the vehicle's TPMS module. When a sensor is replaced or a tire is rotated, a new sensor ID or a new sensor ID for that wheel location on the vehicle needs to be registered or relearned to the vehicle's TPMS module.
The main function of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is to let the driver know the tire pressure status in the wheels. The purpose of TPMS relearning or reset is to allow the automotive ECU to not display errors after some normal repair or maintenance operations (such as changing tires).
How does the vehicle relearn the TPMS sensor?
1. Automatic relearning: drive the vehicle at a specific time and speed.
2. OBD relearning: A TPMS tool needs to be connected to the vehicle's OBD port to write (relearn) the sensor ID to the vehicle's ECU. This procedure is frequently used on most Japanese and Korean manufactured vehicles as well as Chrysler, Fiat, Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles.
3. Fixed Relearn: The vehicle relearns a new sensor ID without driving the vehicle or writing the ID into the vehicle's TPMS module. This relearning process should be completed in the vehicle's Park mode. This program is more commonly used on some Chinese and Japanese made cars such as General Motors, Ford, Nissan and others.
To access fixed relearn mode you need:
1. Use the OBD function of the Autel TPMS tool to enable Training or Relearn mode; and/or
2. Follow the instructions in the Autel tool to operate the onboard buttons. Afterwards, you need to activate all tire pressure sensors to complete fixed relearning. Generally speaking, the starting sequence is clockwise, starting with the left front wheel and ending with the left rear wheel.
Autel scanner TPMS re-learning instructional video
Which Autel scanner tools can be used for TPMS relearning?
When the shopping season comes, Black Friday discounts are unstoppable! Thank you for your continued trust and support in our company. In order to give back to our customers, we have launched a series of super discounts during the upcoming Black Friday shopping season, hoping to provide you with better products and services.Read now
Autel has launched an incredible software update for your EV diagnostic tablet, DC/DC converter testing now supports off-vehicle testing!Read now